Bold runway looks can be somewhat intimidating to real-life, real-size savvies, so today we scouted Pinterest for fall fashion pinspiration that's both on-trend and accessible.
Who doesn't have a stockpile of old t-shirts lying around? When they've passed wearability and you'd rather be caught naked than in one of your scuzzy, yellow-armpitted "Go Team!" cotton numbers, try transforming them into one of these truly fabulous items.
T-Shirt Loop Necklace. By far our favorite solution, this could become your next super savvy fashion staple. (Dollar Store Crafts)
Reusable Shopping Bags. Just a few snips and stitches give a sad tee new life as a green shopping bag. (Martha Stewart)
Undies. You'll never run out of skivvies when you've got secret stash of t-shirt undies lying around. (Super Naturale)
Ruffle Scarf. Whip up two of these easy scarves and twist them together for a truly unique look. (Sew Much Ado)
Rag Rug. So gorgeous, you'll want to tickle your toes on this rug in every room in your house. (Vintage Chica)
We don't carry bulky textbooks around any more, but we sure do have a heavy haul. With laptops, smartphones, whoosies and whatsies weighing down our day bags, we need a good one that's sturdy enough to make the long haul, while being chic enough to pass as a purse.
We know some of you will take one look at this Bra Wallet and wrinkle your nose. But then you'll start to remember all those times you were somewhere that you couldn't bring a purse or bag, or were worried about where to stash your purse or bag, or just didn't want to lug around a purse or bag and it'll start to make sense. The next time you're headed to a wedding intent on doing a carefree chicken dance or are working all day at an event in Times Square with no place to stash your goods--invest in the bra wallet. It's the best secret hideaway for your secret stash, hands down.
Last week, we shared our 15 Favorite DIY and Craft Pinners with you. Today, we present you 24Savvy's top picks for Style & Design Pinners You Must Check Out NOW. Drumroll, please...
Contrary to the all-popular belief in the superiority of basic black as our most flattering fashion friend, classic white can be an equally magnanimous hue to set off your curves in their loveliest light. As long as you stick with cotton tees made with a supple fabric blend—such as cotton with a small percentage of spandex or jersey—and providing you polish up with an accessory or two, you can flaunt your figure with confidence in the simplest (and cheapest) of fashion finds.
Simple, Savvy Ways to Wear a White Tee
- Floral Brooch: Made popular by that equally popular "Carrie," one giant or several small floral brooches tacked onto the neckline of your white tee are an easy way to add flair. We have serious swoon love for FeltSewGood’s recycled felt floral brooches in a range of prices, hues and fabrics. Here’s a smart tutorial if you’d like to take a stab at making your own.
- Wide Belt: Whether you're a tee shirt "tucker" or true-blue "hanger outer" wrap a wide belt around your middle over a loosey-goosey white tee and you've got a lovely, waist-flattering look.
- inVested: We call it Bob Dylan chic—a fitted vest (particularly one nicked from a Mr. Savvy's closet) adds an inexpensive element of cool and aloof bobo-style.
- Monochromatic "Bib" or Choker: Weddings, showers, parties, you name it, this is elegance at its easiest. Pair a statement "bib" ro choker in a similar hue as your shirt, such as this gorgeous option from Bloomingdales (a truly savvy steal) and you've got comfort on your side, as well as chic.
- Bold Statement Necklace: With your white tee as a blank canvas, any bright baubles, beads or bangles will pull your look together with a pop of color. Michaels has an easy MIY project for a sweet colorful floral necklace made out of old t-shirts.
- Over the Shoulder Sweater Holder: This look says "Muffy on the Croquet Court" more than anything, but it's still a smart, fun, classic option. We love bright sherberty-hued cardigans thrown over the neck.
- Summer Scarf: Any lightweight infinity scarf looped around your neck will make a gorgeous and flattering accent. You can even make your own infinity scarf by tying two ends of fluffy, lightweight fabric together.
We have made it a quest to find festive clothing and accessories any savvista would be proud to wear after the fireworks fade.
Star-Spangled Scarf, $48 at anthropologie.com. This feminine scarf, "covered with a dime-sized galaxy," will be a lifelong loyal style friend.
Red, White and Blue Chunky Color Block Necklace, $38 at etsy.com. This fun and fashionable sterling silver necklace adds a pop of color to any old day, patriotic, or not.
Converse All Star Speciality Denim Sneakers, $77.88 at asos.com. Star spangled sneakers make a savvy score any time of year.
Waterproof Diaper bag/Messenger bag, $79 at etsy.com. We love functional pieces, and this roomy cotton messenger makes a great bag for everything—from diapers to beach towels.
Rachel Leigh Tycoon Bracelet, $137 at rachelleigh.com. Art Deco stars and heavy metal combine to make this a stunningly versatile, season-proof architectural piece.
Hearts & Stars T-Shirt, $19.99 at zara.com. Dear Zara, thank you for your long awaited summer sale and this adorable tee.
This week, we surfed Pinterest for stylish and easy-to-make Summer Recycled Fashion Ideas.Scroll down for the top 5 savvy refashion* pins that inspired us the most!
to give a new form to (something)
5. There are some many ways you can give your dear old Toms a makeover. DIY Toms Sandals is our latest discovery. Very savvy, indeed!
Via Pinterest user: Brianna Murray. Source: Everything Emily Blog.
6. DIY studded sneakers: this clever idea appears to be super-popular among our fellow pinners. Jena Ryssman's pin alone got more than 3,200 repins!
Via Pinterest user: Jena Ryssman. Source: Honestly...WTF.
Are you on Pinterest? Follow our savvy pins here!
Saw an idea that you think should be featured in our round-up next week? Let us know in the comments—and don’t forget to include the link to your savvy find!
Just because it's summer, it doesn't mean you have to throw style in the garbage disposal if you want to be comfy. We're a little biased, of course, but believe that New York has to be one of the best places to pound the pavement in search of style inspiration. After a brief browse around town yesterday, we literally bumped into the perfect look walking down the street. It's like a formula for comfy chic that will work at the office, at the beach, at a fancy dinner, at a not fancy dinner, you get the idea. Comfy? Check! Stylish? Check! Easy? Check-ity-Check Check Check.
Bottoms: Keep shorts, capris, bermudas, skirts or pants crisp, tailored and dark in color like these dark navy cropped pants. $78.00 at anntaylor.com.
Tops: Soften up that tailored look with a simple white top. It could be a flowy or fitted peasant top, made of any lightweight fabric like organdy, linen, cotton or eyelet. Ruffled Racerback, $78 at anthropologie.com.
Flats: Statement flats in a bold hue really snap the look together. A bold pop of orange, yellow, green, red or pink really makes the look. Rosalita Sandals, $33 at modcloth.com.
Bag: A structured bag that works with the shoes is your key. They don't have to be matchy-matchy, but similar hues would be perfect. Zara XL Coloured Clutch, $99.90 at zara.com.
What's your go-to "go anywhere, do anything" summer look?
High-waisted and low-cut, brightly colored and pastel, geometric and flower-printed, this summer, shorts are more popular than ever. For those of you looking for a new pair of shorts on a budget, we pulled together a selection of savvy summer styles under $25.
1. Forever 21 Cuffed Paper Bag Waist Shorts
2. H&M Shorts
3. Old Navy Printed Tie-Belt Shorts
4. Alloy.com Floral Denim Shorts
5. Old Navy Women’s Printed Shorts
6. Target Merona® Classic Chino Shorts
Savvy Tip of the Week
Look up which night your local museum is open for free for an art-inspired date night
What is 24/Savvy?
24/Savvy is about living the smartest, most creative life possible with whatever we’ve got on hand.