Cozy Up to October Awareness Month!
October is drawing to a close, and while it may not be time to turn up the thermostat just yet, I am sure that as you pull out your winter knits and boots ideas for how to save money on your heating bill are beginning to churn around in your head. Did you know that October is Energy Awareness Month? So definitely a good time to start thinking about your energy use!
The experts at American Home Shield have offered some savvy energy-saving tips on how to make sure your utility bills are taking it easy on your wallet:
- Tolerable Temps: When the household is sleeping turning down the thermostat 10 to 15 degrees for eight hours, you can save 5 to 15 percent a year on your heating bill. This is a savings of about 1% for each degree!
- Furnace Care: To improve efficiency and save $$, replace your furnace filter once a month to add years to the life of your furnace.
- Clean Your Refrigerator Coils: Use a handheld vacuum to clean the coils of loose particles and dust so it won’t have to work as hard!
- Oven Lovin’: Without a proper oven seal, more than 20% of the oven’s heat can be lost, leading to longer cooking times and lost energy. Check the seal around the door for breaks or cracks, and replace the seal if needed.
- Program It: Most people don’t program their thermostat. With this one step you can save up to $180 each year on your heating bill!
It is possible to stay warm and cozy this winter AND save some money as well!