Savvy Ways to Combat Calorie Costly BLTS
We have this sneaky notion at 24/Savvy that if we're standing up and eating something, it doesn't count. Just shove it right in our pie-hole and it's like it never even happened. I mean, it wasn't on a plate, right? No one saw! It's practically calorie-free!
Friends, meet BLTS, our nemeses, and very likely yours as well: Bites, Licks, Tastes and Sips. They count. And they can seriously undermine your regime, health and weight goals. A quick word on the R-word (regime). We don't believe in the D-word (diet) because frankly, we've tried them and they don't work. We use regime because it implies an ongoing process of reasonable, sustainable, mindful eating through which one can maintain their desired weight without deprivation and self-loathing. And isn't that better than a dumb diet where the only thing you'll get at the end of a period of total deprivation is the couple extra pounds you gain when you stop punishing yourself?
Savvy Ways to Combat BLTS (Bites, Licks, Tastes and Sips)
- If it's not on a plate, don't eat it. Don't pick, nibble, grab, or steal bites off other people's plates.
- If it's not on a fork, don't eat it. Eating food properly off your plate slowly with a fork will make you more conscious about what your doing and make you less likely to pick at BLTS later.
- Are you hungry or not? If you're hungry, eat a proper meal. If you're not, don't graze.
- Overeating is the direct result of undereating. The more you deprive yourself, the more likely you're going to fall prey to costly BLTS later so eat proper balanced meals in whatever way works best for your body.
- Are you splurging or not? It's okay to treat yourself in moderation, but own it! If you feel guilty and think all those lame "oh I shouldn't have" thoughts, you'll be more likely to sneak-eat out of guilt on the sly. Pick your moments to splurge and enjoy.
We Repeat: Just Say No! Don't ever eat anything standing up. Sit down, relax, take your time and enjoy what you're eating when you eat it and you'll cut out mindless grazing later on.